While our community is home to the championship-winning Tampa Bay Lightning, we are also home to the Lightning Capital of North America, receiving more lightning in the summer months than any other region in the hemisphere. At FloriFence, we understand that a fence is not just an aesthetic part of your property; it’s also an investment in the safety and functionality of your home or business. While our fences are built to withstand various weather conditions, Mother Nature can sometimes throw us a curveball. One such unpredictable event is a lightning strike. In this blog post, we’ll discuss what to do if your fence gets struck by lightning and how we can assist you in the aftermath.
1. Safety First: In the immediate aftermath of a lightning strike, safety should be your top priority. Lightning strikes can be dangerous, and it’s crucial to ensure that you and your family are safe. If the strike caused a fire, call 911 immediately.
2. Assess the Damage: Once it’s safe to do so, assess the extent of the damage to your fence and the rest of your property. Lightning strikes can cause various types of damage, including:
- Burn Marks: Lightning can leave scorch marks or even ignite parts of your fence.
- Structural Damage: The force of the strike may damage or weaken the fence’s structure.
- Electrical Issues: Lightning can damage electrical components if your fence has lighting or other electrical features.
3. Document the Damage: Take photos of the damage as evidence for insurance purposes. This documentation can be invaluable when filing a claim.
4. Contact Your Insurance Company: Reach out to your homeowners’ insurance provider to report the lightning strike damage. Provide them with the photos and any other information they may require to process your claim.
5. Seek Professional Assistance: After notifying your insurance company, contact a professional fence repair and installation company like FloriFence. We have more than 25 years of experience in assessing and repairing fence damage caused by various factors, including lightning strikes.
6. Temporary Fixes: In some cases, your fence may require immediate attention to prevent further damage or safety hazards. We can provide temporary fixes to ensure your property remains secure until a permanent repair can be completed.
7. Comprehensive Repairs: Once we assess the damage, we will provide you with a detailed repair plan and cost estimate. Our team of experienced professionals can efficiently repair or replace damaged fence sections, restoring your property’s safety and aesthetics.
8. Preventative Measures: To mitigate the risk of future lightning strikes, consider installing lightning rods or surge protectors in the vicinity of your fence. These measures can help redirect lightning strikes and protect your fence from severe damage.
9. Regular Maintenance: After your fence is repaired, we recommend regular maintenance to ensure its longevity and durability. Routine inspections can catch potential issues early, preventing extensive damage in the future.
10. Keep Safety in Mind: Finally, remember that safety is paramount. While we strive to repair and restore your fence, the most important thing is the safety of your family and property. Ensure that all electrical components are properly inspected and repaired to avoid electrical hazards.
In conclusion, a lightning strike can be a frightening and unexpected event. While we can’t control the weather, we can control how we respond to it. If your fence gets struck by lightning, follow the steps outlined in this post to ensure the safety of your family and property. FloriFence is here to help you assess the damage, make necessary repairs, and provide guidance on preventative measures to protect your fence in the future.