Wooden fencing is very popular this summer for Florida homes. This natural fencing material looks great and can add a sense of privacy and security to your home. Because of its natural beauty, however, wood fencing needs extra TLC to keep it looking beautiful for years to come. You’ll need to invest in some fencing care supplies after your installation to ensure your wood fence lasts the full extent of its potential service life.
To properly care for your wood fence, you’ll need:
- A wood or fence cleaner – Wood fences are susceptible to damage from excess water and harsh chemicals. You’ll need a specific cleaner for wood fencing in order to preserve your fence’s natural appearance or paint. Shop your local home improvement store or ask FloriFence for recommendations.
- A pressure washer or garden hose – Pressure washing your fence after applying the wood cleaner will help it maintain its beauty. However, you need to be careful with a pressure washer in order to not splinter the wood. Stand three feet or more away from the fence, and use a washer that is 2700 PSI or less. If your fencing is older, a garden hose may be better suited for the aging wood.
- Wood preservative – Wood preservatives can be applied to the bottom of fence posts in order to prevent mold and mildew. This simple addition to your outer coating can prevent expensive and time-consuming repairs down the road.
- Additional stain or paint for touchups – When you install your fence, it’s a good idea to paint or stain it in order to prevent water damage. You may not need touchups for several years, but it’s practical to keep a spare can of paint or sealant in the garage just in case.
- Wood glue – Wood glue is handy to have around if you notice a minor splinter or crack in your wooden fence. If caught early, these minor imperfections can be repaired and you can stop further damage.
With these supplies around the house, you can ensure your fence will last for decades. To learn more about wood fence care and maintenance, contact FloriFence today!